Sunday, January 28, 2007

Our First Day in China

Boy was I groggy when I woke up Friday morning. Poor Tom, he received a phone call at 7 am from his counterpart here in China. Berthold was down in the lobby expecting Tom to be up and ready for work. Tom had told him a few days ago that he would get up and come in sometime later morning and work for a few hours. Well, I guess there was a sudden change of plans. Tom ended up going in with Berthold as they had a meeting in the tallest building in China at 9 am with GM. We kept hoping that he would be back to the hotel sometime early afternoon. He ended up working a full day. That left Emma and I to fend for ourselves the whole day without knowing anything about the area.
First, let me tell you that we are staying in the Holiday Inn in Pudong, Shanghai (check out link on the right side of the blog). Shanghai is divided into sections as New York City. Pudong is the newest section of Shanghai and ten years ago it was nothing but smaller housing and rice paddys. Now it is highrises built around those smaller buildings. Here are a few photos from my window and of the hotel.



As for Emma and I on our first day, we did adventure too far outside the hotel. We went down and ate lunch at the buffet in the hotel. The food wasn't to bad but there was quite abit of Chinese food such as a noddle bar and some seafood. I opted for a Ceaser Salad, broccoli and some bacon fried rice. Emma ate chicken stew and friend rice. We then took a small walk around the block and stopped at a Lawsons store that has drinks and snacks. I felt safe walking with her and didn't feel the need to be leary. We then came back to the room and played while watching some TV. Finally around 4:30, Emma was exhausted and I laid her in the crib, she cried for a few minutes and fell fast asleep. I woke her up around a quarter to six and she was just so clingy and didn't want to get up, so I sat on the couch and the one picture depicks what Daddy saw when he finally got home.







No comments: