Thursday, February 1, 2007

The People in Shanghai

I love to people watch, so I have been noticing how the Chinese people are. First of all, I would say that most of them are really friendly. We heard that the Chinese just love children especially babies and toddlers. We have seen how this is. Workers at the Holiday Inn are in love with her. They open their arms to her and she runs to them to get hugs. They think it is so cute how she says Ni Hoa for hello and Xie Xie (Shay Shay) for thank you. The wait staff at the buffet are extremely helpful with Emma. The seat us at a table close to where everyone walks past so they can help me with her as I get our food when Tom is gone. One day, the chef actually made her something special to eat since the rice on the bar was spicy that day. She made her mashed potatos with a spaghetti meat sauce. On Wed afternoon, we had to say goodbye to these nice people whom Emma won over and the one girl wanted to cry as we were leaving. Here is a picture of Emma with on of the hostess.

When we would walk the streets, alot of the people seem friendly. They would look at us and smile especially after seeing Emma. The first experience I had with this was with a group of business men who were seated next to us at lunch the first day. They actually kept pointing and talking amonst each other about her while smiling and waving at Emma. I was amazed that men like that would even care. I have noticed that with young and old men here. Our first walk, we walked past a huge group of younger people, mostly girls, who justed awwed over her and bent down to touch and play with her. The smiles on those young kids were priceless and made my day.


We have also made friends with a few street vendors around our hotel. There are a couple few girls who just love it when we walk by. We stop so they can talk to Emma and play with her. They have even given her some of their goods. The jewelry lady gave her a cute pair of earrings and the potato lady gave her one.



People with kids stop us on the streets so the kids can say hello to each other and interact. These children here are just so precious. Most of the time, Emma will wave and smile at them and they will touch hands. It's amazing how they react and they don't notice a difference between themselves.

Sometimes I feel like an inadaquete mother when we are out. Some people who stop to talk with us, or should I say communicate with us, convey the message to me that Emma isn't dressed right for the weather. They point to her head to ask about a hat, but Emma keeps taking it off. She is too warm with it on. They feel her hands to see if they are too cold and pull down her pant legs since they have ridden up with sitting in the stroller. I think they are like Guatemalans in this fact that they dress their children really warm no matter how the weather is. I have noticed that the kids here have thick quilted like pants on and winter coats. Emma has been wearing her winter coat even though it had been close to 50 everyday in Shanghai. I just wish I could convey to the people that she is dressed ok for the weather and also how cold it is right now in Michigan and that there is a big diffence in the climate.

Other things I have noticed about the people is that sometimes they just stare at us when we walk by. They don't change facial expressions when they do this, so I wonder what they are thinking. Also, spitting is very prevalent here. Everyone does it and it is totally gross. Everyone has cell phones and they are more attached to them than we are in the states. Tom seems to think it is a status symbol for them. All in all, I feel very safe here as the people seem to make it a friendly place to be. I am not sure how it would be without having Emma, but I am glad she is here with us.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Carol,
I am enjoying reading about your experiences in China - it's interesting to hear about how well they take to Emma! Sometimes I think our country doesn't even notice the little ones! Keep soaking it all in!

Mandy said...

aww I love all of the pictures, Carol. It's great that Emma is getting so much attention, it sure is nice to have child friendly people around!! Sometimes people ask to hold my son, but he's too shy for that! It's great that Emma is so friendly!